Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Believe in Belize

I realize that my last blog was a bit more interesting to read than most. Here is why… I pre-wrote it.  Most times I´m writing my blog at an internet café and I´m rushed to finish so it isn´t an expensive sit down. At the farm I had a bit more time to write before posting since I wasn´t being charged. However, we have moved on from the farm but I plan on handwriting my post before publishing them so it will continue to be written better and more interesting for you, the readers.
So now for my post…. 
Our last week on the farm proved to be the most valuable. Getting to know Brooks on a more friendship basis allowed for us to gain valuable knowledge on both farming and food. As we learned, Brooks studied sociology in University and in classes the topic of food and agriculture affecting communities dominated her interests. The affects of food education in countries that don´t value nutrition due to lack of funds and the emphasis on meat packing companies lowering costs while producing more introduced Brooks to a life of self-sustainability.  As I write about this topic it is mostly my point of view and may not be as factual since I still have much to learn.
Brooks impact in Belize exceeds the farm. Her interactions with the community are crucial by hiring only locals to work for her on the farm and also volunteering at least once a week at the local primary school, Our Lady of Sorrows.
I had mentioned in a prior blog that Matt and I were teaching computer classes to the teachers and students at the school. Another WWOOFer, Christian also joined us in the last few classes  and immediately became emotionally involved with the community as Matt and I had.  All three of us wanted to continue our work for this school once we returned to the US and discussed many times how we could do this.
Our decision was fast and easy. Food! Many of the children at the school cannot afford to pay for lunch and go without food most the day. When they do eat, it is cheap food and generally not nutritional. For one person it cost 50 cents USD per day to eat lunch. There are only 42 students that attend this school for 13 week trimesters. This is around 190 days of school which is less than $4,000 for an entire year of lunches.
The three of us have made two goals.
1-      A short term goal to each have a fundraiser in our own cities to provide enough money for one year of lunches.
2-      A long term goal to build a well and pump to supply a community/school garden.  Brooks would provide cooking and farming classes and coordinate the garden so it continues to prosper.
Though we don´t know the details of the fundraisers I wanted to introduce the issue to everyone I know and if anyone has suggestions or you´re interested in helping please email me or message me here.
Hnikbloom@gmail.com

Once I return home and I have a better idea of what and where our fundraisers will occur I will post them here on the blog.

Later today I will post more about our actual trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment